Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 10 Reviewed

1 Kings 15 - 2 Kings 23

     I know I had never read the books of Kings all the way through before!
     I love when in the midst of a long story (many of which I followed decently well), there is some short, quick, golden nugget I can grasp on to. The ones that the Holy Spirit highlights, because they are intended not just for the historical Israelites, but for God's people in all times!
     In 1 Kings 18:21, Elijah, a prophet says, simply, "How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him." And I love how my bible says next, "And the people did not answer him a word." What could they say? There wasn't a lot of room for interpretation there. Pretty simple! Easy. Pick your side. Ha. Love it!

  • It's Easy for God!
     God longs to act on behalf of his people, and it's so easy for Him! He so desires for his people to turn to Him and seek Him for any and all provision, and so ready to provide it for them. In 2 Kings, when his people needed water, God wanted to be their provider. Perhaps He wanted to show them that they needed Him even for their most basic, fundamental need. In fact, pure water is probably one of the only things in life that we truly need!  
     So, the prophet Elisha brings the Word of God to the people, saying, "Make this valley full of trenches...You shall not see wind nor shall you see rain; yet that valley shall be filled with water, so that you shall drink, both you and your cattle and your beasts. And this is but a slight thing in the sight of the Lord; He shall also give the Moabites into your hand," (2 Kings 3:16-18).
    A slight thing!! This was easy for God! A piece of cake!
     You need it.
     You ask Me.
     Here you go!  
     But it's interesting that God didn't provide any rain - just water. This way, the people would have to acknowledge that it was God who provided it! Where else would it have come from?
     I like the last line, too: Oh, by the way, I'll also subdue another one of your enemies. Me! I will do this for you!

  • 2 Kings 4 Story
     I enjoyed this story of God tending to a needy widow. To me it's a great example of a reference point of how to start receiving God's provision.
    1. Ask for it - She asked the prophet to help her take care of her sons
    2. Present God with what you have - "What shall I do for you?," replied Elisha. "Tell me what you have?" And she said, "Your maidservant has nothing in the house except a jar of oil." (4:2)
    3. Do what God says to do next - Elisha tells her to employ help of family and friends, borrowing all the vessels she could, go home, and start pouring the oil.
    4. Be at ease, as you watch God work!! - "So she went from him and shut the door behind her and her sons; they were bringing the vessels to her and she poured. And it came about when the vessels were full, that she said to her son, 'Bring me another vessel.' And he said to her, 'There is not one vessel more.' And the oil had stopped." (4:5-6). So, she sold the oil to pay for a debt, provide for her sons, and live.
   
     This is still God today! He still acts on behalf of His people who ask Him. Why He doesn't make Himself more obvious sometimes, I wonder? Perhaps He is obvious. Perhaps it's my dull perception :)

No comments:

Post a Comment