Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 5 Reviewed

Numbers 21 - Deuteronomy 19

     Sometimes, the path just seems blocked. I've prayed about it, and I've prayed about it, I decide to do it. And I fall flat on my face. What happened?

  • Balaam and Balak (and that awesome donkey!)
     I love this story!! Balak comes and offers Balaam tons of money to curse the Israelites. Balaam prays about it and God tells him no, he shall "not curse the people, for they are blessed," (Numbers 22:12). So, Balak comes back and offers even more tons of money. Balaam prays about it again (ha!) and God seems to give him the go ahead.
     On the way, the donkey that Balaam is riding starts wigging out. The donkey runs off into a field, then he squishes his rider up against a wall, then he just sits down under Balaam and refuses to go on! Balaam has been striking this donkey each time he acts strangely (understandably). But finally, the donkey opens his mouth and SAYS, "What have I done to you?" Oh, my.
     And they actually carry on a little diatribe. Turns out the donkey has actually been seeing an angel of God that's been blocking his path. God opens Balaam's eyes so he can finally see it too. Finally, they are allowed to proceed, but Balaam is reminded to speak to the Israelites exactly what God tells him to.
     What he speaks over the people, of course, turns out to be a whopper of a blessing, much to Balak's chagrin.

     So it might not directly relate to my topic. But what stood out to me was that Balaam's way was NOT easy. Well, God did not want him to go in the first place! I don't believe that even Balaam had peace in his heart about going, just a lot of excitement about what he could do with all the cash. He was enticed by dollar signs, so God said, Fine. If you want it that bad, go for it. But we're gonna do this my way. I'll show you my displeasure, and in the end, my will - what I want (in this case, the Israelites to be blessed) will still be accomplished. And so through greed, disobedience, and even Balak's intent to curse, the Israelites were blessed!!! What kind of God this must be!

  • Oh The Places They Went!
     Numbers 33 is a list of more than 40 different places the Israelites moved to during their 40-year camping trip.
     I've been married 3 years, and I thought the fact that we moved about twice a year was tough. And I basically know the routine of where I'm going -- the Israelites were being led. They didn't have an itinerary or a road map. They generally had no clue where they were going next. I can't say that I would not have "grumbled and complained."
     Oh, but to be able to trust God and move on each day in faith!! How much different might their journey (and mine) be? God had even promised them He was leading them someplace great! He was not leading them to death, or even on a pointless, wild goose chase. He was teaching them how He wanted them to live there (God's way) because they would not only live, but truly live and prosper! Moses speaks God's word to the people of Israel:
     "See, I have taught you statutes and judgments just as the Lord my God commanded me, that you should do thus in the land where you are entering to posses it. So keep and do them, for that is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes and say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as is the Lord our God whenever we call on Him?"
     I love the last part!
     Finally, they are getting to the promised land, not by obedience of their own, but by the promise of God. He continues to plead with them to obey Him, only for their own good. The words God speaks through the prophets threaten to bring tears to my eyes and sadness to my heart. Because, I can hear Him speaking the same thing to me as I go about my days.
     First He describes breathtakingly abundant life they can have: the water, the springs, the crops, figs, pomegranates, olive oil, honey...they shall LACK NOTHING, He says! Surely I could be at ease if I understood I lacked nothing!
     But please, He says, Don't forget me then.
     Don't misunderstand, God is not lonely. He is the only one who can handle our mess, and keep us straightened out.
     This He speaks to me:
"When YOU have eaten and are satisfied, and have built GOOD HOUSES and lived in them, and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and gold multiply, and all that you have multiplies, then your heart becomes proud, and you forget the Lord your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery...Otherwise, you may say in your heart, 'MY power and the strength of MY hand made this wealth.' But you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth, that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers,"  (Deuteronomy 8:10-18, caps mine)
     Lord, Blessed be Your Name! The impossible is true: According to your Promise, I lack nothing.        Hope you heard from Him today :)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment