Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 11 Reviewed

2 Kings 24 - 2 Chronicles 6

  • Jehoiachin
     I just couldn't skip over this, even though the details are a little spotty for me, there was something here too cool to miss.
     I had to do a little additional research to find out more about Jehoiachin, because the books at this point in the Bible jump around from story telling to history, and some is out of order, making it a little harder to follow for a first timer.
     Jehoiachin was a king. He reigned only for 100 days, and was succeeded by his uncle. According to what I looked up, he was the last heir to the Jewish throne! Interesting. He was taken captive to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar, and imprisoned for 37 years, until a (new?) king, Evil-merodach redeemed him.
     "And Jehoiachin changed his prison clothes, and had his meals in the king's presence regularly all the days of his life; and for his allowance, a regular allowance was given him by the king, a portion for each day, all the days of his life," (2 Kings 25:29-30).
     This struck me as an awesome thing to have said about one's life! Quite simple, but awesome! I won't dwell too much. But to add a detail like, "changed his prison clothes," spoke volumes I think. We know that we have gone to from slave to free in Jesus Christ, but have you changed your prison clothes? Do you wear a garment of praise, of righteousness, of peace, of servitude? Do you sit in the king's presence regularly and allow him to provide for you? Something I need to consider!!
  • Record Keeping  (1 Chronicles)
     The lists of recorded generations in the Bible amazes me. I know my parents and grandparents, but beyond that I've never met anyone who came before me. I think I do have a little family history recorded somewhere, but nothing to the extent of generation upon generation! Sometimes I'm tempted to feel like it's just me. Like I didn't really come from anything...but just as recorded here, I come from generations upon generations! I am just the last down a loooong line right now. Gives a little perspecitve, hm? :)
  • David passing the Torch
     Along those lines, a quick generational blessing. David tells his son Solomon, "Be strong and courageous, and act; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you nor forsake  you until all the work for the service of the house of the Lord is finished," (1 Chronicles 28:20). Such a great lesson, to look for what God has set aside for us to do and even pass that annointing/ blessing on to the next generations, empowering them let God work mightily through them, bearing fruit, in peace, with ease.
     Solomon, for one, picked up this torch and kept it ablaze. He worked on the temple with gusto. Not only was it superb in it's building mechanics, but also in it's dedicated purpose. Solomon prayed and interceded fervently for the people and their interaction with God surrounding the temple. I mean, his prayers were so inspiring, they could be a model for intercession today!! His hearts cry was that through their sin and repentance, and through anyone's interaction with the temple, even foreigners, that they would come to know the true, living God! (2 Chronicles 6).
     It's no wonder he had such powerful prayers, after asking God humbly and earnestly for wisdom and understanding to lead his people well!

No comments:

Post a Comment