Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 17 Reviewed

Proverbs 8 - Isaiah 2

     More of the "paradoxical" coolness of God. "There is one who scatters, yet increases all the more, And there is one who withholds what is justly due, but it results only in want. The generous man will be prosperous, and he who waters will himself be watered," (Proverbs 11:24-25, emph. mine). Of course we see this sort of thing all throughout the gospels when Jesus Christ comes and begins teaching, and fulfilling the law. But this is early wisdom of Solomon. God surely did give him the understanding he prayed for!!
     I've been noticing especially passages about "bearing fruit," and "becoming fruitful." This one, for example, "A man will be satisfied with good by the fruit of his words," (Proverbs 12:14). I'm becoming more and more aware of the power of the mouth, the tongue, words, etc!! How interesting and how true -- that what we say can actually have a profound effect on the outcome of our lives.
     "A tranquil heart is life to the body, but passion is rottenness to the bones," (Proverbs 14:30). I love the wisdom of God. It is so unnatural to how I am tempted to think. Yet, so proven!! There is scientific study after scientific study that tells us this same thing :) They may phrase it something like, Lowering stress level reduces heart attacks, etc.
     Another good one, Oooooh so proven in marriage, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger," (Proverbs 15:1). Oh how well things go when I cling to this truth!!
  • Proverbs 31
     The peace a woman can bring to the house! A woman has such control over the level of peace her household experiences, I can truly attest! I honesty LOVE this scripture. Not because it is some unattainable standard that I compare myself to, but because it is a beautiful example of the types of things that bring peace to a home...
Her worth is far above jewels...her husbands heart trusts in her...she does him good, not evil...she works with her hands in delight...she brings her food...considers and buys in business...strengthens herself...is not afraid...makes coverings...SMILES AT THE FUTURE...the teaching of kindness is on her tongue...
     I love it! I don't want to be her, I want to be me! The awesome woman God created me to be, not missing out on any of the benefits or good things God has planned! (Remember Ps. 103??) I can live out of that place in my household and the world.

  • Ecclesiastes
      I really don't have much to say about Ecclesiastes except for that Solomon makes it clear there is no peace to be found pursuing vain pleasures of the world. My husband and I sat through about half of a terrible, pop-culture movie last night at the theater before we walked out. The characters in the movie could very well be summed up as Solomon does by, CHASING AFTER THE WIND! Fleeting passions, fleeting pleasures. I have a hard time even calling them pleasures, because I have a hard to time believing they can be that pleasurable in the end, when they leave the pleasure seekers more empty than before. It doesn't matter which thing I speak of: alcohol, sex with who/whatever...that's really all I can think of. ha. And how sad! Only two "pleasures" that aren't even pleasures! What else? Maybe food? Lewd games? Talking about gross things? Dirty Jokes? They all seem to go back to alcohol and sex...
     ok ok ok I digress. "So, remove vexation fro your heart and put away pain from your body, because childhood and the prime of life are fleeting," (Eccl. 11:10). I guess you could consider these things, at least what pop-culture media calls, the 'prime of life.' Yuck yuck yuck. Prime nothing.
     You want prime passion, read the Song of Solomon and embrace God's love for his bride (church) as a man embraces his wife. This is the real stuff!

     I am my Beloveds and He is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment