Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 28 Reviewed

**A quick disclaimer about this blog...
     If you happen to stumble across this blog at this point in time, there are a few things I want you to know. Right now, I'm reviewing my 30 days of reading. Most posts are jumbled to say the least. They are mostly quick thoughts, unedited, of what stood out to me in each day's passage. Also, keep in mind, my thoughts usually have something to do with being "at ease," or being "at peace," because that's the theme I looked for specifically as I read this time! **

John 21 - Acts 28

     The first thing that stood out to me in the book of Acts was the statement, "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved," (Acts 4:12).
     Period.
  • Ethiopian Eunuch
     What I am learning right now firsthand in the way of discipleship is how important explaining can be. It is imperative that someone read the scriptures for themselves, but very helpful, especially at first, to have come alongside and help explain. Especially before that person is able to hear clearly God's Holy Spirit, the ultimate explainer :)
     The Eunuch flat out asked for help, and so Phillip "opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him," (Acts 8:34). I love that it says he opened his mouth, first of all!!!
     That is the first step in most cases. Or, perhaps, opening a blank email :)
  • Peter and Cornelius
     Such a wonderful, enlightening passage as I search to know more about what it is to be clean or unclean before the Lord. So important! Peter comes to understand, as I long to, "that God is not one to show partiality," (Acts 10:34). Amen!
  • Continually Joy-Filled
     What a complete description of a ministering life. Succinctly: "And the disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit," (Acts 14:52 emph mine).

     God has been showing me lately how judgmental my heart is. So this verse, in particular speaks to me, "Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our father nor we have been able to bear? But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are," (Acts 15:10-11 emph mine). Except that I have tended to place judgment on people who aren't even disciples. Just in my heart. Without them even knowing. Yucky :(
  • Paul on Trial - Just Tell it Like it is
     "And Agrippa said to Paul, 'You are permitted to speak for yourself.' Then Paul stretched out his hand and proceeded to make his defense: 'In regard to all the things of which I am accused by the Jews, I consider myself fortunate, King Agrippa, that I am about to make my defense before you today," (Acts 26:1-2 emph mine). He considered himself fortunate! Ha! Perhaps because he was about to give his "defense," he was really just about to tell God's truth, and evangelize!
     He just went ahead and told his whole tale, and concluded with quoting from the prophet Isaiah! And, "Let it be know to you therefore, that this salvation of God has been sent to the Gentiles; they will also listen," (Acts 28: 28).
     Bam!

No comments:

Post a Comment