Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 3 Reviewed

Exodus 24 - Leviticus 17

     When I chose my topic to focus on as I read through the Word (being "at peace," or "at ease,") I was particularly interested because I wanted to experience this more in my own life. I thought I could gain insight by looking at what God had to say about how this is possible.
     Well, so far, what I noticed about the people early in the Old Testament, is that none of the people who went through their life with ease did it because their life was easy. None had easy circumstances. None had a hardship-free existence. Quite the opposite!! Most of the people we've discussed so far had terrible circumstances a lot of the time! Or, I should say, terrible in my limited viewpoint of wanting an easy life!
     The key sounds trite, but, oh wow, if I truly implement this in my life, what miracles (and true peace) could I experience!? The fact is, they TRUSTED God. They BELIEVED Him and took him at His word, no matter the facts, circumstances, or whatever kink was thrown in their plans.
     I have *cough, cough* been know to flip out over the slightest changes in my plans.
     I've never been asked to sacrifice a child.
     Or work decades of hard labor to earn my spouse.
     Or had my siblings be so jealous they sold me as a slave.
     Or been asked to babysit an entire NATION.
     So, I guess I could say I've had it...e a s y :)
     In our world today, most people tend to run from hard circumstances. To achieve "peace," many people, myself included probably think of fleeing to a deserted beach island where they can leave bills and income tax behind. At the very least, they think Starbucks green tea and a massage while those pesky kids are at school or day care.
     I joke. But, I'm convinced (not because I've achieved it but...) this cannot compare with trusting God, and obeying Him despite all. Oh, don't get me wrong, there were tons of people in the Bible (and all through history, duh) who did the fleeing thing. Funny thing is, they never achieved the peace, or ease they sought.

     Another thought I want to mention (and may expound on later) is something that clicked as I was reading through Leviticus, and (not) comprehending every single word.
     That is, people in the Old Testament (and under the Old Covenant, before Jesus,) sought being at peace/ ease with God, by fulfilling the requirements of the Law, because that's what they were told to do. So, they were made right by sacrifices atoning for their sins.
      
     Now if a person sins...then he will bear his guilt...Or if he touches human uncleanness...Or if a person swears thoughtlessly with his lips to do evil or to do good...He shall also bring his guilt offering to the Lord for his sin which he has committed

     Basically, there was a list of countless things that qualified as sins, or being unclean. There was an equally long list of things one had to specifically do to be made right.
     This was huge for me, I'll talk more about it later. For now, just remember: People were at ease when their sins were atoned for (and this was a CONSTANT PROCESS - sin, atone, sin, atone, sin, atone)

     ...and I can't help but saying, looking forward, THANK GOD FOR JESUS!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment