Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 8 Reviewed

1 Samuel 6 - 2 Samuel 11

     Well, Hannah's baby turns out to be a great judge of Israel, apparently, because it was written that:
"the hand of the Lord was against the Philistines (an enemy) all the days of Samuel. And the cities which the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron even to Gath; and Israel delievered their territory from the hand of the Philistines. So there was peace between Israel and the Amorites." (1 Samuel 7:13-14)
     and, "Samuel judged Israel all the days of his life." (7:15)

     When Samuel was nearing the end of his life, the people started begging for a king. More than just a judge, they wanted someone to be in even more control of their affairs. Samuel hesitated, knowing this was not was God wanted for them. He knew God wanted to be their only "king." He knew that no man could serve them adequately in that role. He knew that it would ultimately compromise their freedom. But, God said, if that's what they want, that's what they'll get, but it will not bring them peace. Quite the opposite. Basically, God said that a king (being merely human), despite good intentions, would end up doing things that were in his own best interest at the peoples' expense. But, they didn't listen. They wanted to be like all the other nations!
     I understand this. Sometimes I think it will bring me peace if someone else will just make all my decisions for me. If someone will tell me what to do, I will have it easy. I won't have to think for myself, and make my own mistakes. The only problem is, the person who's telling me what to do, is NOT GOD! And if they're not even consulting with Him, then they are feeding me their own humanistic ideas, sure to fail. Harsh, but true. Now, I do obey my authorities, because God commands it! But the Lord God is still king over me!

     Fact is, God wants a direct relationship! Not through a medium, judge, king, or consultant. He wants trust and obedience, rather than sacrifice and constant atonement. Samuel says to King Saul:
     "Has the Lord as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. For rebellion is the sin of divination, and insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has also rejected you from being king." (1 Samuel 15:22-23)
      Like I mentioned before, the people understood being at ease when their sins were forgiven (essentially when a priest - a man - had taken care of it for them). God was leading them to see that it would be through a relationship with Him - their God - that they would ultimately be at peace, at ease, and their sins be forgiven.

  • The ease of the way God does things Offends people!
     One last thing, just because I thinks it's cool - and how could I leave out David and Goliath? I love Goliath's initial reaction to David, "Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?" HA! Goliath is so insulted that David thinks he even has a chance of survival! David says, "You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted," (1 Samuel 17:45).
..."AND THAT ALL THIS ASSEMBLY MAY KNOW THAT THE LORD DOES NOT DELIVER BY SWORD OR BY SPEAR; FOR THE BATTLE IS THE LORD'S AND HE WILL GIVE YOU INTO OUR HANDS." !!!! (17:47)
With ease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment